One of the most popular and versatile treatment options today is porcelain veneers. They can accomplish a lot, which is why they are the toast of so many celebrities. (You may not realize it, but many of those perfect smiles on the red carpet are the result of porcelain veneers.) Many people who visit Anacapa Dental Art Institute, Oxnard wonder whether or not veneers are right for them. To figure that out for yourself, you need to understand the basics.
About Porcelain Veneers
The term veneer refers to any thin covering or coating. Porcelain veneers are very thin pieces of porcelain, shaped to resemble a human tooth. The veneer is placed on the front side of the tooth, which ends up covering any imperfection beneath the veneer. The veneer adheres to the tooth with a special permanent dental adhesive.
Are Porcelain Veneers Right For You?
You can consider yourself as the candidate for the need veneer teeth if you have one of the deformity of teeth
- Chipped Teeth or Cracked Teeth : Minor chips and cracks can be easily restored with porcelain veneers as well as bonding materials. If you have substantial chipping or cracking, however, you may require inlays, onlays, or dental crowns instead.
- Stained Teeth : In many cases, professional teeth whitening is the way to go for dealing with tooth discoloration and dental stains. However, major staining may be too deep or extensive for even the stronger professional bleaching. In those cases, porcelain veneers will be able to get the job done.
- Crooked Teeth : A lot of people don’t realize this, but porcelain veneers can be used to straighten smiles that are slightly crooked or misaligned. This means you can achieve a smile that is even and beautiful without the brackets, wires, and long treatment time of braces. (That’s why porcelain veneers are sometimes called “instant orthodontics.”) Of course, major misalignments are better dealt with using Invisalign® invisible braces.
What Are Lumineers®?
Lumineers are a kind of porcelain veneer (i.e. a brand of porcelain veneer). The key advantages of Lumineers is that that they require minimal preparation, and are completely reversible. Many of our patients choose Lumineers and are delighted with the results!
Do Veneers Look Realistic?
It’s virtually impossible to tell if a person has porcelain veneers, even close up. This is one reason why they are so popular among celebrities, who must look their best for camera close-ups.
- One of the ways that manufacturers ensure a realistic look to porcelain veneers is by applying subtle tinting to the veneers. This is done in the laboratory before they are applied by your dentist at Anacapa Dental Art Institute, Oxnard.
- Another reason that porcelain veneers look so realistic is that the material itself. Porcelain very much resembles the natural tooth in its raw form.
- Finally, porcelain veneer adheres to the front of the tooth so closely, that an observer can’t detect that anything is on top of the surface of the tooth.
Are Porcelain Veneers Painful to Get?
No! One of the best things about porcelain veneers is, as mentioned, they’re extremely thin. As such, they can be bonded directly to the surface of a tooth. There is no need to trim the tooth back first. And there’s no drilling (and as such no anesthetic) required, either.
How Do I Know If I Would Like What My New Teeth Will Look Like?
Predictable result is a major key for success in cosmetic dentistry.
Today, digital smile design techniques allow us to understand, communicate and meet patients’ expectations. We can simulate the result and patients can see photos of the final result.
We can also use mock up and wax up procedures to simulate the final result directly in the mouth, check and evaluate the desired changes.
Making the Best Decision About Porcelain Veneers
Porcelain veneers not only look realistic, but they are very effective at hiding problem teeth. If you have discoloured teeth, chipped or worn teeth, porcelain veneers may be a great choice for you. Porcelain veneers won’t interfere with reasonable eating and drinking, either. As long as you care for your veneers according to your Ventura Cosmetic Dentist Dr. Saj Jivraj guidelines, you can eat or drink almost anything.
How Can I Maintain My New Veneers?
- Meticulous oral hygiene
- Regular hygienist visits
- Wear your night guard if recommended by your dentist
At Anacapa Dental Art Institute, Oxnard, Ventura we offer affordable payment plans for cosmetic and restorative dental procedures. Ask our front staff about financing options. We offer third-party financing through companies like CareCredit, Lending Club. Qualified candidates can work with a financing company to develop a monthly payment plan to fit their budget.
About Your Oxnard, CA Cosmetic Dentist:
We look forward to providing families with exceptional care and advanced treatment options. To schedule an appointment with Dr. Jivraj contact our Oxnard, CA, dental office today by calling 805-988-3317. Our office welcomes patients in and around Oxnard, CA, including Santa Barbara, Woodland Hills, Ventura, and the surrounding Southern California communities.
Our Team Looks Forward to Welcoming You to
Anacapa Dental Art Institute
We’re proud to help everyone achieve the smile of their dreams. We’re located in Oxnard and serve the surrounding communities including Santa Barbara, Ventura, Camarillo, Thousand Oaks, Woodland Hills, Simi Valley, Calabasas, Port Hueneme, Malibu, and Westlake Village.