A dental implant is a bio-compatible (meaning your body likes it), man-made substitute to replace missing tooth roots; it is usually made of a space-age alloy made mostly of titanium. It’s the same material now being used in other joints such as hips and shoulders.
Implants come in various shapes and sizes to fit the situation. In fact, new versions are constantly being made available so that even if you were previously told implants weren’t for you there is likely a new version that will work for you.
Most are cylinders placed into bone and allowed to heal undisturbed while bone heals around them, locking them in like an anchor. After a few months, the implants are used as a foundation for replacing the missing teeth. For some patients with excellent bone, teeth can be “immediately” stabilized with the implants with revolutionary procedures such as “teeth in a day.”
Dental implants restore lost chewing ability, improve appearance, end embarrassment, and give real self-confidence to patients who need them. They are a real breakthrough!
Here’s How it Works…
The steps of the implant procedure itself are quite simple:
- If there is a damaged tooth, it must be painlessly removed.
- The actual “implant”, a small threaded titanium post is planted into the location where the damaged tooth used to be. There are other varieties of implants, some for very special use that simply fuses to the top of the bone versus going into the bone.
- The thickness and type of bone at the location where a tooth is needed will determine which style is best. A special method of medical sedation plus local anesthesia makes this a VERY comfortable and pain-free process.
- Your body immediately begins to “bond” the titanium into place with bone or tissue. This is a very thorough process and may take from two to six months. For the right situations, at the surgery, teeth are attached to the implants so that you have teeth even while the bone healing is progressing.
- Your body does not reject these new materials, but ties them in with great strength as if they were a natural part of your own body. You may elect to wear a temporary denture during this binding process.
- Once the titanium implant is tightly in place, a wider post is now attached to the stable foundation and your new tooth is attached to this second part with one of the worlds most secure and space age adhesives. Bonding is virtually forever!
- You have a new tooth or an entire mouth of teeth. You (and me) are the only ones who know that they are man- made – and implants are so comfortable you’ll soon forget which teeth are natural and which ones are dental implants.
Next time, we’ll talk about those dealing with what can be a miserable daily life of wearing dentures…….
Schedule Your Own Private Consultation with Dr. J
Anacapa Dental Art Institute is proud of their dedicated service to Ventura County. Lead by world-renowned top cosmetic prothodontist Dr. Jivraj and his expert staff, Anacapa has the expertise and facility to handle whatever your cosmetic dental situation may be. Whether it’s a tooth whitening or a full mouth reconstruction, expect nothing but some of the best dental care Ventura County has available.
Call today for a private consultation. Renew your smile, renew your life.
About Your Oxnard, CA Cosmetic Dentist:
We look forward to providing families with exceptional care and advanced treatment options. To schedule an appointment with Dr. Jivraj contact our Oxnard, CA, dental office today by calling 805-988-3317. Our office welcomes patients in and around Oxnard, CA, including Santa Barbara, Woodland Hills, Ventura, and the surrounding Southern California communities.
Our Team Looks Forward to Welcoming You to
Anacapa Dental Art Institute
We’re proud to help everyone achieve the smile of their dreams. We’re located in Oxnard and serve the surrounding communities including Santa Barbara, Ventura, Camarillo, Thousand Oaks, Woodland Hills, Simi Valley, Calabasas, Port Hueneme, Malibu, and Westlake Village.